Alexandrides Engineering and Management Services Pty Ltd presents the qualifications and experience of its proprietor.
Bachelor of Engineering (Mech Eng)
Master in Business Administration
CAREER OVERVIEW :
Con Alexandrides has over 30 years experience in engineering related rail asset management, operations management and commercial management.
His career roles have developed through the spectrum from Cadet Engineer in Australian National to General Manager in Pacific National.
He commenced his career with Australian National in 1982 as a Cadet Engineer. In the period from 1982 to 1993, he was involved in rollingstock engineering, rollingstock asset management, line management, workshop facilities management, engineering services and project management with Australian National and Goninan.
In 1993 he joined the newly created National Rail. He played a major role in Australian rail reform being responsible for the take-up of assets and maintenance operations as provided under the Government Shareholders Agreement. This encompassed assessment, acquisition and upgrade of existing rollingstock and facilities; organization design and staff recruitment underpinned by strong negotiation skills and project management. In addition he was a key player in the purchase of 120 NR class locomotives which were latest technology and efficient locomotives for National Rail under an innovative supply and long term maintenance contract. His role included project feasibility, justification, specification, tendering, selection and operational implementation.
From 1995 to 2002 he continued responsibility with National Rail for the ongoing asset provision and performance under both contractual suppliers and internal arrangements and also expanded into national train radio communication systems and fuel supply for the business. Con's work assisted in turning an estimated $300m pa loss making interstate rail network into a profitable business within 5 years.
In 2002 Pacific National (Toll and Patrick joint venture entity) purchased National Rail and Con was appointed as Operations Manager Intermodal. In this role he was responsible for planning, implementing and managing train operations for approximately 230 trains a week across the national Australian railway network. This was in the context of both short term and long term market demands and establishing all resource requirements to operate the business. Resources included Drivers, locomotives, wagons, terminals, track access paths, fuel and IT systems. He was also responsible for overall operational safety, engineering and technical standards of the operation and asset base. Contract and supplier establishment and management were also key accountabilities.
In early 2007 Con took up the role of General Manager SteelLink for Pacific National/Asciano for which he was accountable for the overall commercial and operational performance of the national steel logistics business servicing two major customers, BlueScope and OneSteel. It also included negotiating and implementing a significant service contract for rail operations within the BlueScope steel mill facility in Port Kembla. The role was responsible for ~$200m revenue base, transporting 3.0m tonnes per annum and ~200 staff in direct span of control.
In 2009 Con departed Asciano / Pacific National and established Alexandrides Engineering and Management Services (ALEXEMS) Pty Ltd. ALEXEMS has provided services to major transport engineering firms, rail operators and consultants in Australasia including Downer EDI Rail, TransAdelaide, Public Transport Services South Australia, SCT Logistics, Great Southern Rail, KiwiRail, Pacific National, Genesee and Wyoming Aust, TasRail, Austar Coal Mine and Australasian Transport Risk Solutions.
The services provided by Con as ALEXEMS include:
- LOCOMOTIVE, WAGON AND RAILCAR PROCUREMENT including specifications, procurement contract management, construction oversight, quality assurance, performance targets, delivery logistics, acceptance process and operational implementation;
- ASSET MANAGEMENT including maintenance strategy, fleet planning, whole of life cost review, risk review, resourcing, performance management and continuous improvement processes;
- ORGANISATION REVIEW including staff modelling, staffing competencies, organisation structure, technical and engineering support and associated operating costs;
- ROLLINGSTOCK MAINTENANCE STANDARDS review &/or development suitable for the client cognisant of costs and industry standards;
- MAINTENANCE AUDIT as an expert independent auditor including maintenance contracts, fleet maintenance and wheelset assembly overhaul processes;
- INCIDENT INVESTIGATIONS including major mainline derailments, yard derailments, rollingstock irregularities, rollingstock structure failure and load related incidents;
- MAINTENANCE FACILITY MANAGEMENT including requirements, design review, construction review, facility acceptance and specific equipment justification.